The Jackson State University Lady Tigers were merely points away from victory with its six-hour match against the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns women's tennis team, but ULL prevailed in a wonderful college tennis match 4-3 on Saturday at Cajun courts.
"I give Jackson State a lot of credit, they are much improved and put up a tremendous fight today," ULL head coach Greg Harkins said. Coach Pennington received numerous compliments from players, fans and staff which made everyone feel very good. "This is college tennis," Pennington added. "Every time you walk out on the court it's going be tough. We were fortunate enough to be in position to win, but credit ULL for fighting to the end as well, and tonight they were better. As long as we continue to improve then today's effort won't be in vain."
The Cajuns won two of the three doubles matches as the team of Nelo Phiri and Nicole Breaux clinched the point on court one besting JSU's Angela Condorelli and Akshatha Ananth , 8-1.
In singles competition, Phiri was the first one off of the court claiming a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Ananth at the No.1 position. Sophomore Juliette Clement increased the Louisiana advantage to 3-0 picking up a strong 6-0, 6-2 win on court six over Rebekah Adewumi.
Lady Tigers reeled off three straight singles wins on courts two with Anastasia Zviahintseva defeating Nicole Breaux 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, Julia Angermann dispatching Melissa Burckhartt 6-1, 6-1 on court 4, and Angela Condorelli besting Julie Cremers 4-6,6-4,6-2 on court 3 to even the contest at 3-all.
Senior Kesica Jayapalan won the first set 7-6 (7-0) and battled back from 3-5 down in the 2nd set to force a tiebreak, but fell 7-4 and in third ran out of gas to allow Alexander Way and ULL to win a well fought match.
The Lady Tigers are back in action on Saturday at 1 p.m. as they travel to Troy, AL to play Troy University.
Louisiana 4, Jackson State 3
1. Nelo Phiri (UL) def. Akshatha Ananth (JSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. A. Zviahintseva (JSU) def. Nicole Breaux (UL) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Angela Condorelli (JSU) def. Julie Cremers (UL) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Julie Angermann (JSU) def. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) 6-1, 6-1
5. Alexandra Way (UL) def. Kesica Jayapalan (JSU) 6-7 (0-7), 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
6. Juliette Clement (UL) def. Rebekah Adewumi (JSU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Nelo Phiri/Nicole Breaux (UL) def. Angela Condorelli/Akshatha Ananth (JSU) 8-1
2. Julie Angermann/A. Zviahintseva (JSU) def. Juliette Clement/Melissa Burckhartt (UL) 8-6
3. Julie Cremers/Alexandra Way (UL) def. Kesica Jayapalan/Rebekah Adewumi (JSU) 8-1
Jackson State 0-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,6,4,3,2,5)